Patricia Buckley Ebrey
|Patricia Buckley Ebrey|
March 7, 1947|
|Alma mater||University of Chicago, Columbia University|
|Spouse(s)||Thomas G. Ebrey|
|Fields||Chinese history, Art history, Women's studies|
|Institutions||University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, University of Washington|
Patricia Buckley Ebrey (born March 7, 1947) is an American historian specializing in cultural and gender issues during the Chinese Song Dynasty. Ebrey obtained her Bachelor of Arts from the University of Chicago in 1968 and her Masters and PhD from Columbia University in 1970 and 1975, respectively. Upon receiving her PhD, Ebrey was hired as visiting assistant professor at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She became an associate professor in 1982 and a full professor three years later. She is now a professor at the University of Washington.
Ebrey has received a number of awards for her work, including fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, the Woodrow Wilson Foundation, and the Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation. Ebrey's The Inner Quarters: Marriage and the Lives of Chinese Women in the Sung Period received the 1995 Joseph Levenson Book Prize from the Association for Asian Studies. Her 2008 work, Accumulating Culture: The Collections of Emperor Huizong, received the Smithsonian Institution's 2010 Shimada Prize for Outstanding Work of East Asian Art History.
- Aristocratic Families of Early lmperial China: A Case Study of the Po-ling Ts’ui Family (1978)
- Kinship Organization in Late Imperial China, 1000-1940 (1986)
- Confucianism and Family Rituals in lmperial China: A Social History of Writing About Rites (1991)
- Marriage and lnequality in Chinese Society (1991)
- Inner Quarters: Marriage and the Lives of Chinese Women in the Sung Period (1993)
- Chinese Civilization: A Sourcebook (1993)
- The Cambridge Illustrated History of China (1996)
- A History of World Societies (1999)
- Accumulating Culture: The Collections of Emperor Huizong (2008)
- The Cambridge Illustrated History of China, second edition (2010)
- Emperor Huizong (2013)
- Scanlon, Jennifer; Cosner, Shaaron (1996). American Women Historians, 1700s–1990s: A Biographical Dictionary (PDF). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. pp. 66–68. ISBN 0313296642.
- "Patricia Ebrey". University of Washington. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- "Patricia Buckley Ebrey to Receive 2010 Shimada Prize for Outstanding Work of East Asian Art History". Smithsonian Institution. 2 February 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2011.
- "AAS CIAC Levenson Book Prize Winners". Association for Asian Studies. Retrieved 19 October 2011.